Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Thursday

Martha Stewart doesn't live here

While I do manage to keep up with the dishes and laundry that two adults and three kids make, the rest of the house gets cleaned on an as needed basis. If I feel compelled to wear my shoes while inside my own home, it's time to get down to business. Of course, I try to wait until there are no children demanding my attention. That seldom happens. Not even on weekends. Take any given weekend, for example:

To Do List: 1) Clean Master Bathroom Shower

So, at 10AM, I put on a previously recorded cartoon for the girls to watch, in the living room. I know that they have been bathed, fed and watered, so I figure they're good for 25-30 minutes. More than enough time for me to scrub the shower down. I've already got my cleaning tools, I'm good!

I was wrong. Here's how it usually goes:

10:03AM Halie: MOM! Rosie's in DANGER!

10:06AM Catie: Momma! Can you help me draw a dragonfly? Please?

10:10AM Halie: MOM! Rosie's in DANGER!

10:17AM Catie: Come see this, Mom. You're gonna get mad, but it's so cool!

10:20AM Halie: Oh gross. Momma, Rosie's got poop on her hands!

10:29AM Catie: Mommy, Could you read me this story?

Just so outsiders get a glimpse of what a Saturday is like for me. And that's just one half hour of one Saturday. Most folks get at least two days off, maybe a weekend. I willingly signed on for a 24/7 career for at least the next 18 years. Yeah, I still I love my job. I'd never trade for a 9 to 5 , behind a desk kind of job, and I do have loving, helping hands closeby. And a phone to call those helping hands...

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In