Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Thursday

FLASHBACK to Fall 1979

I had just turned five on August 31, and started Kindergarten a few days later. I learned the classroom rules quickly, and still use them in my life today:

1. Keep your hands to yourself.
2. Wait for your turn.
3. Raise your hand to speak.
4. Respect others.


Rule one seems not to apply right now while I'm on Mommy Duty. If I abided by that rule, there would be more ER visits resulting in a formal CPS investigation. Rule two, I've got down pat. I'm the kind of person who will smile and wave the other person through a four-way stop, even if I got there first. Rule three is still in place in our house. Imagine three children (four if you include my husband) trying to outscream each other to get my attention. Rule four, I'm still trying to get through my daughters' wooden skulls. Impenetrable? No. Hard-headed? I guess between me and my DH, each daughter got two heaping helpings of stubborn.

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In