Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Thursday

D.A.R.E. for First Graders

Drug - Abuse - Resistance - Education
This week is Red Ribbon week at my daughter's elementary school. I recently sat down with her, prepared to have to explain a lot of things to her about drugs. "Do you know what I mean when I say 'drugs'? There's medicine that your doctor prescribes to make you better, and medicine that buy buy at the store, like the Tylenol I give you when you have a fev-", I began, before Halie stopped me. She told me,"I think it's about using drugs everyday, whether you need to get better or not. I know that there are drugs that the police will arrest you for, but I'm not sure what they are." You could have knocked me over with a feather. I'm just glad that my first-grader did not climb in the car and casually ask me, "Momma, what's crack ?" Whew! Dodged a bullet there. I am prepared to be honest with my children about my past drug abuse, but I hadn't expected to broach the subject with my daughters at five and six years old! I might as well, before they figure out that Mommy does not know everything.

This week has been a Drug Awareness Week, and there has been a wardrobe to match:

Monday - 'Sock it to drugs'- wear crazy socks
Tuesday - 'Team up against drugs' - wear team shirts
Wednesday - 'Don't get tied up with drugs' - wear a tie
Thursday - 'Living drug free is no sweat' - wear sweats
Friday - 'Red Day' - wear as much red as possible

Halie has participated so far, except for wearing a tie on Wednesday.
It's never too early, I have recently discovered. Have you had a talk with your children?

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In