Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Tuesday

Testosterone - Bring It On!

I must be honest with anyone reading this who knows nothing about me other than what you find in my blog/profile. I can still remember being pregnant for the first time seven years ago, and having my doctor ask me, at 7 months of prenancy, about the kind of delivery that I would like to have. Since it was a high-risk pregnancy, I was seeing her each week, and I told the doctor I would think about her question and have an answer ready the next week. At the next visit, I told her, "I want a Beverly Hills delivery." With a puzzled look on her face, she asked me to explain. I replied, "I want you to knock me out after the first contraction, and don't wake me until my hairdresser and publicist arrive." My DH, the doctor, and I all had a good laugh at that. Little did we know that just a few weeks later, I'd get my wish. I had an emergency cesarean at the beginning of month eight, and I felt no pain.
With our second daughter, I had the doctor's OK to try to deliver vaginally. I was more than 40 weeks with no issues, when I noticed a slight rise in my blood pressure (from 128/70 to 130/80). I called my doctor, and she asked me to drive in (DH and I lived 90 miles away). Turns out, I was already in labor and had no idea. I labored with Catie more than 30 hours, then had to have an epidural and another c-section.
So, do I appreciate both births? YES! My sister is due in late October and has decided to have a natural birth. I support her. Would I do it? No way. My sister's son has been loved from the night he was conceived. My sister has taken phenomenal care of her body, growing the tiny boy (although I hear 'tiny' might be a fitting nickname), and counts it all, good and unpleasant, as blessings. I'm so thrilled to watch my little sister become a mother, to watch her and her own DH become parents. And I'm excited that there will finally be a boy. He'll be the lone testosterone buoy in the sea of estrogen that my daughters have created.

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In