Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Tuesday

Poker Night

On Sunday evening, we actually hired a babysitter to watch our girls while we enjoyed Poker Night with friends. My niece, K, is 16 years old and saving money for the expenses involved with the car she will soon have. Besides knowing her prestigious pedigree, I know she's a phenomenal young woman and has many families who trust her with their children. So K spent the night with our daughters: Halie 6, Catie 5, and Rosie 2. Since there is no school this week, I told my girls that they had my permission to have a 'slumber party': eat popcorn, watch movies and stay up late. Bedtime on school nights is 7:30PM, so I thought for sure they would all be asleep by 9PM, at the latest. When DH and I got home at midnight, we found Catie crashed on the sleeper in the living room, Halie zonked in her own bed, and Rosie looked like she had been shot - frozen where she dropped. Stretched out next to her was K, happily snoozing.

K told me this morning that the girls fell asleep not long before we got home, and in the opposite order of what I had expected: Halie first, Catie second, and Rosie third. She told me that Rosie still wanted to play while she was in her bed, so K decided to lie down with her. Next thing she knew - she was asleep. I explained that I often find myself in the same situation!

So, DH and I went with money, but came home with none. Texas Hold'Em: you might be good, but you're not garanteed a win. Good thing we have 'fun money' budgeted for nights just like these. No more poker parties for a couple of months.

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In