Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Sunday

Bigotry

I might have been born in Chicago, Illinois, but I have grown up in Texas. We moved here when I was just shy of my fifth birthday. I loved the way these strangers spoke. I quickly adopted the southern twang, saying 'I'm fixin' to' and 'Ya'll' regularly. Then I heard a new word: Bigotry. I thought bigotry referred to the gigantic oak down the street that we attached our tire swing to. When a new African-American boy was added to my primarily Caucasian Kindergarten class, I told my mother about it. She asked me to describe his appearance, and my response was, "He's beautiful!" I am instilling in my own children the same nature of loving and caring of human beings, not based on the color of skin.

I say all of this to tell you about snack time today. I keep a large bag of small, rainbow- colored marshmallows in the pantry, and often serve them for dessert after the girls have finished a meal. Today, I gave Catie a generous portion of the marshmallows when she was finished with her lunch. I sat with all of the girls while Halie and Rosie continued to eat sandwiches, and Catie made a dent in her dessert. A few minutes later, Catie handed her marshmallows to Halie, saying that her sister could finish them for dessert. I looked in the bowl and saw only the green ones. I know. I hear you. But I get my illustrations from everyday life. This is a great example. Our society is much like that bowl of marshmallows. The entire bowl appeals to you, but you pick out the ones you like and leave the rest for someone else. What's wrong with the green ones? They are just as sweet and mushy as the other marshmallows. We are all creations of God. Appreciate every culture.

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In