Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Monday

Backyard Boy Scouts

DH, along with Princess and Sweet Pea, set up the tent in our backyard about 4PM on Saturday. When we ate dinner after five, the girls eagerly ate every morsel of dinner, knowing that if they made any objections, The Queen would pull the plug on the campout. Luckily for my daughters, I made macaroni and cheese, and only gave them a partial serving of Italian green beans. Not only did I not hear any complaining, I got rave reviews! "You could make this every night for dinner, Mommy!,"said Sweet Pea in her adorable, brown-nosing style. After tucking Stinker in bed at 7:30, I made a few snack bags with mini-marshmallows and mixed nuts for the campers to munch. DH led the way out to the tent. When all the beds were arranged and everyone settled, I went back into the house. My mind was suddenly flooded with memories of my own childhood camping rituals. One of them was cocoa before bedtime. I had no cocoa in the house! I walked back to the tent, explained my ritual of cocoa, and offered to go and pick some up from the nearest convenience store. I saw three heads nodding eagerly in the dim light put off by the lantern. I checked on Stinker, who was checking her eyelids for holes. I made a quick drive to 7-11 and saw that they had a special machine set up that dispenses Ghiradelli Hot Chocolate. I resisted the urge to put my open mouth under the spout I grabbed an insulated cup, filled it, paid for it, then dashed home to serve it to the girls and DH. All was right in their little rip-stop nylon world! I went back inside the house. I turned on the TV and watched what I wanted to watch, holding the remote in my own hand the entire time. Will wonders never cease?
I walked out to check on the girls once more about 10PM, and could only hear DH's soft snoring. Then I went back in and went to sleep. Stinker woke me up at 7AM. Record this for posterity: I got an entire night's sleep!
Astoundingly, all three slept out in the tent for the entire night. The girls came in just after 7AM, talking excitedly about the stories they had shared, and the shadow puppets each had created, and how they had enjoyed the hot cocoa treat. A short time later, DH comes dragging himself in. He was not so excited, looking rather tired, in fact. He headed straight to our bed and went right back to sleep. When he woke later, DH said he'd begun to rethink the purchase of a new mattress. Apparently after a night on the ground with two daughters attaching themselves to his armpits, our bed felt like clouds.
The tent stood in our backyard throughout the day Sunday, and continued to entertain Princess and Sweet Pea. I must say that I rarely have a day that my referee's striped jersey and steel whistle have a day to rest. Sunday was one of those days!

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In