Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Friday

I often repeat myself

Yes, to my daughters, but also to upon encountering a stranger. I'm the kind of woman who never met a stranger. I find something in common with everyone, and can begin a conversation with someone I may never see again. In the course of conversation, I frequently say, "My daughters may not be redheaded on the outside, but they are redheads on the inside!" Princess recently went shopping with me, and during my conversation with a stranger in the store, she shouted, "YOU TELL THAT SAME CRAP TO EVERY PERSON YOU TALK TO!" I was silently wishing that the floor would open up and swallow me. I kept my wits about me, bent over, took Princess by the arm and said quietly through my teeth:" You have embarrassed me and the woman I am speaking with, and we both need an apology. NOW." Princess quickly apologized, and we got the heckoutofdodge. On the drive home, I told Princess that while she might hear things over and over again that I say, I'm confident when I use those sayings. I know that they make others laugh. I asked my seven year old ,"Haven't you told the same joke over and over just to hear your friends laugh?" When she nodded her head, I said, "Because you want people to like you, huh?" She said a barely audible, "Yes." So I didn't have to turn the situation around, and tell all the people that she meets, "She says that stuff to everyone she meets!" Enough said, I hope.

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In