Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Thursday

Sweet Pea's Pee-Pee Issues

I give Sweet Pea the credit for getting her almost four year old sister potty-trained about three years ago. Sweet Pea herself was almost two , and allowed me to turn it into a competition. When Sweet Pea woke up, my first goal was to get her on the toilet. She peed every time, and I went berserk with my obnoxious applauding and cheering. Princess would be in the doorway of the bathroom in short order, saying, "I can do that, too!" So Sweet Pea has been potty-trained for more than three years, and staying dry through the night for the same amount of time. Knowing that, you will understand the confusion that DH and I faced in the last months, when Sweet Pea began wetting the bed at night. First once, then once a week, which progressed to twice a week. We dutifully woke her up before we went to bed each night and put her on the toilet. Sweet Pea, in the same spirit, dutifully peed every time. The downward spiral continued, until she was wetting the bed each night, even after we had taken her on a 'midnight run' to the potty. DH and I decided that it was time to consult the pediatrician. We've been seeing this wonderful doctor since Sweet Pea was just a few weeks old.

Sweet Pea's appointment was on Monday afternoon. The doc asked me about her voiding habits and if they had changed. I answered the way any mom with three kids would: "I don't think so." His thought was she's not sitting on the toilet long enough. Sweet Pea is an active kid who would rather be out playing with her friends in the yard than sitting on the toilet. Hindsight's 20/20 right? I have been racking my brain for days, but I cannot think of a time that I've seen my daughter sit for more than one minute on the toilet. The doctor told me that if she's full of stool, it's pressing on her bladder. While she's able to compensate for that pressure during the day, she is more relaxed at night, and lets it go. He sent us to have Sweet Pea's bowels x-rayed. We were told that we'd have an answer in 24 hours. The was Monday at 2PM. Well, we learned today that the results of the x-ray weren't delivered to the pediatrician until 4:30PM on Wednesday. The head nurse, Mrs. McDonald (no kidding), called me this morning to tell me that the doctor was right. The x-rays show the truth: My five year old daughter is full of sh*t. My sweet baby is apparently quite backed up. Sweet Pea's going to need a bowel cleansing medication every day for a month or longer. And,what's more, I'll need to inspect every BM. Takes the redneck saying, "Ya'll come look at this before I flush it!" to another level!

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In