Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Monday

Annual Event

Since puberty began mwpthfmpteen years ago, I have engaged in the annual event of shedding my winter coat. That's a nice way to say what it really is: ridding myself of the braidable hair on my legs, accumulated from October thru February. Each year, I contemplate using the household weedwhacker (I'm Irish and quite furry, donchaknow!) and eventually, I am faced with the preservation of my delicate, pale skin. I always have relied on a specific depilatory cream, which this year, boasts a four-minute process boldly on the yellow bottle. Since Mondays are a day where Princess is in her first-grade class, and Sweet Pea is attending preschool, I just have Stinker at home with me. So when my two year old was down for a nap, I seized the short time to apply aforementioned depilatory cream. Almost as soon as I applied it to my left leg, it began to tingle. Despite the warning signs, I moved on and applied it to my right leg. Over the next three minutes, the tingling progressed to absolute burning, at which point I leapt into the waiting shower and couldn't get that stuff off my legs fast enough! The cool water of the shower helped immensely, so I finished with my regular shower routine (I won't bore you with the details), and noted that my legs were now furry-no-more. While I dried off, a similar burning began again. When I looked down at the inside of my knees, they were growing bright red, raised hives! OW! I quickly applied cortisone cream (us fair-skinned folk keep tubes in every room of the house), and while that was nearly two hours ago, I have yet to feel relief. So what am I doing blogging, you ask? I'm just wondering if any others have had a similar experience. No advice necessary. I already know that I should have done the cheesy 'patch test' 24 hours before I actually slathered the flesh-scalding acid to my legs. Never have to worry about it again. It's already in the trash - outside.

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In