Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Wednesday

The girl who cried wolf...

I got a call yesterday letting me know that my first grader(Princess) was in the nurse's office at her school. The nurse called to tell me that she wanted me to come and pick my daughter up immediately. I quickly explained to my guests what the phone call was about, got them out the door, then packed up my two year old, and sped like Batman drove the speed limit to the elementary school. When I entered the door to the nurses office, the woman who greeted me was wearing a surgeon's mask! I learned from the nurse that my Princess had reported to her teacher that she had been leaking diarrhea when she coughed. My daughter was then sent to the school nurse who had just been through a tough bout with stomach flu herself, and didn't want to risk catching it again. That explains the mask. Luckily, I brought a change of underwear and pants for Princess to change into. We stepped into the bathroom and my daughter began to undress. I noticed that she had no stains on her clothing OR her underwear. I asked her why that was, considering the story she'd given to her teacher and the school nurse. Princess just hung her head. I asked her to get redressed while I stepped out and explained to the nurse. The nurse pulled off the mask and breathed a sigh of relief. I told her to that I would like to walk my daughter back to class. I spoke to the teacher who told me that Princess was having a rough day so far. I explained to my daughter that pretending to be sick to get out of class is a lot like the boy who cried 'wolf'. When she really is hurt or sick and needs help, adults may not believe her. I don't know of my words impacted my seven year old, but let's hope so!

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In