Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Friday

Spring Break!

Next week is Spring Break. Our family will be taking advantage of the previous and subsequent weekends to enjoy our family vacation together. While my DH considers it 'vacation' to be away from work and visit with various family members, I don't consider it one at all. Taking all three daughters on a road trip to the family farm in Kansas is, in my own words, 'Work on Wheels'.

DH's paternal grandparents (our daughters' great-grandparents) own a very large farm in SE Kansas, and have lots of cattle to pet before it's in our freezer at Christmas each year. And they take care of it all. The have enormous planting and harvesting machines, a front-end loader, a tractor or two, as well as a hay baler. Plus the massive trucks to take the crops to town. The girls call them what all the great-grandchildren call them: Grams and Gramps. I call them sweet blessings! They run the farm and always leave their door open for any family that wants to come and visit - at any time. They have lots of great-grandchildren, so they are used to keeping valuables out of reach, and if something gets broken, it's not the end of the world. I can only remember my paternal grandfather, so I have come to love DH's grandparents like they are my own.

Normally, I'd feel a small bit of anxiety about having all three daughters in the car for 8+ hours. DH tells me that our 'vacation' is going to be simple: We won't be in a hurry to do anything. We'll leave Saturday morning, after breakfast, and take our time on the drive to Kansas. He says we'll stop to eat and play at a park or two to let the girls 'get the silly out'. He also bought special fishing poles, so he girls can fish while we're there (from Big Lots, thankyouverymuch), and we're going to head home early, so we're not rushed to unpack. Do you see why I call him 'Prince Charming'?

We've talked about games to play on the road that will hold our daughters' interest. They are seven and five, so I need a lot of ideas. I am asking you for any ideas that have kept your own kiddos occupied on the road. Thank you in advance for your help. Like I said, we'll be leaving tomorrow morning after breakfast, and I'll be back to blogging as soon as we're back! Lots of good pictures to share as well...

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In