Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Monday

Weekend at Chez Family Circus

For future reference: Halie goes to school two miles away from home, within walking distance to Grandma, who teaches Catie's preschool class. Halie's aunt lives less than a mile from there. Lemme break it down for ya: DH and I live 2 miles away from his parents, who live three houses down the street from Halie's elementary school, which is less than a mile away from the aunt in this story. Got that? The whole Famn Damily in the same city. Pretty simple, eh? Okay. Here we go:

Friday afternoon, I picked Halie up from school and Catie up from preschool like any other Friday for the last six months. I had not even pulled out of the driveway when the two girls commenced the perpetual bickering that seems to permeate their very existence. I turned up the music said nothing, since I knew that Halie would be leaving to spend the night with her aunt at 6:30PM. My two oldest daughters continually argued about things that my sister and I never fought about (mostly because we never thought of fighting over who got what fork for dinner). Halie's aunt picked her up, and they were set to have a great time. Early Saturday, I got a call from Grandma about Halie spending the night Saturday night with her and Grandpa. Halie was due to come home Saturday after lunch, which she did. I was fine with letting Halie spend another night away from home, so I quickly unpacked and repacked Halie's overnight bag with clean clothes. Grandma and Grandpa came by to pick Halie up before dinner Saturday afternoon. Saturday evening, DH and I got a call from the aunt who explained that Halie had taken some things from her home without asking permission. Not only that: Halie told lie after lie to try to get away with it. I'm honestly not surprised or embarrassed by any reports that I get about Halie's behavior from teachers (at school or at church), but I don't like hearing them from family. ( I know from experience that what children do in public is NOT necessarily a reflection of how they are parented). Granted, every member of my family and DH's love my daughters as much as we do. That makes it even more uncomfortable.
So, later Saturday night, DH moved the beds in Catie and Rosie's room, turning them back into the bunk beds they were originally designed to be. Halie has a daybed in her own room, and when she wants privacy (read: when I separate Halie from her sisters), she goes in and closes the door. As of Friday afternoon, Catie still had to have Halie's permission to be in that room. Rosie is just not allowed, period. DH and I have no problem with those guidelines.
So, when Halie came home Sunday and saw the bunk beds restored - she went in and took over like it was her own room. I saw what was happening, and asked Halie if she had Catie's permission to be in her sisters' room. She said (of course) "No." She also added, "Catie doesn't need to have my permission to go into my bedroom!" To which I responded, "Oh! So when did you decide that? Was it TODAY after you saw your sisters' room?" Halie sheepishly answered "Yes."
I am grateful that my daughters' circadian rythyms urge them to fall asleep about 8PM. Bedtime is 7:30 on school nights.
*SIGH*
What a weekend!
I hope yours was more relaxing.

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In