Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Wednesday

I am from tall pecan trees, from Downy-scented sheets drying on the clothesline and warm cinnamon-raisin bread. I am from a nondescript brown brick suburban home, where two inches of snow was enough to cancel school.
I am from long walks to school, shaded by only Crepe Myrtle trees, hotter than hell in August.
I am from placing an angel, older than me, atop the Christmas tree. I am from Goodwill clothing that may not have been new, but was always new to my wardrobe. I am from the hot-tempered, Irish-Italian bloodline that has created so many beautiful loved ones, and genetically equips me to drink any man under the table.
From picnic lunches in the park, and napping with my grandfather in his Old Spice scented armpit and climbing trees to pick and eat crabapples. I am from Dillon, Del Priore, Coffey, and Williams.
I am from stained-glass cathedrals and scarcely-practiced Catholicism. A wayward preteen beginning, finally accepting His gift at 15. I'm from a sweltering summer city, a fierce family, and fattening meatballs with gravy.
From the aunt whom I most resemble, the rebel in her family whom I would have chosen to be my sister, the blood sister who hated me as a child, but loves me as a woman, and the mother who gave birth to me, despite the risk to her own life.
I am from albums full of wedding pictures, family reunions, and childhood amusement park visits. I am from County Cork, Ireland. I am from Marshfield, Wisconsin. I am from Osara Di Puglia, Italy. I am from Lynch County, Kentucky. I am from Chicago, Illinois. More valuable than gold, the memories my mind holds. More precious than jewels, the memories I make with my own children, who will one day write an ‘I am from…’


I was inspired by the incredible Mary over at Owlhaven.

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In