Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Saturday

The 'N' Word

Rosie's newest word (and apparently her new favorite) is 'No'. Each time I make an offer to my toddler, she answers the standard, "No." Even when it's something she loves - like yogurt or ice cream. Then there's a different negative answer she gives when I ask her to do something she does not want to do: "NO." Much more emphatic, but still a little reserved. And then Rosie has moments like this morning. I directed her out of my bedroom, and she flopped down on the floor. I nudged her out into the hallway (yes, using my foot), where she began to scream: "NO! NO! NO!" Then my two year old commenced the flailing portion of her typical fit. I walked away, ignoring her. Seconds later, I heard her tiny feet slapping the Pergo in the hallway. As I rounded the corner, I saw Rosie jumping up and down, screaming "NO!" each time her feet hit the floor. So I heard, "NO! NO! NO! NO!" I decided that if I could not beat her, I'd join her. I jumped up and down shouting, "YES! YES! YES! YES!" Not only did my performance shock little Rosie, it made her end her antics. Then, my DH stuck his head out the bedroom door and quoted When Harry Met Sally: "I'll have what she's having!"

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In