Family Circus

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys. - Doug Horton

Friday

Shopping for a bathing suit...

...With girls who have no body-image issues. Yet.

I took my five and seven year old daughters to Tar-jay to find each a one-piece swimsuit. I was amazed to find only three styles of suits available in something that would cover my daughters' respective belly buttons. When I realized that there was no one to voice my concerns to (DD#1 and DD#2 are already on the verge of figuring out that their mother is totally unhip), I resigned myself to allowing my daughters to try on those three styles. The first style was light blue with yellow Hibiscus blossoms on it, the second was pink with a faux beach scene silk-screened on the front, and the third was pale blue, covered in large white daisies, with an empire waist trimmed in bright yellow.

My confident young daughters wanted to parade about the store, getting each and every shopper's opinion about what the potential new suits looked like on them. In sheer horror, I blocked the dressing room door and I was able to dissuade them from THAT idea. Luckily, both daughters chose the third suit. Don't expect pictures. Three of the females in our house learned something important on this little shopping expedition: my five year old wears one size larger than her seven year old sister. Oh! The indignation my oldest daughter displayed. Her little sister is now her 'bigger' little sister! How infuriating!

I remember feeling the same way at 13, when my 11 year old sister suddenly measured 1/2 inch taller than me. How unfair!! To spite enjoying the first dozen years of being the older sister and using my sheer size to intimidate my little sister, I was now at a decided disadvantage. While my little sister continued to grow, my physical growth was at a standstill until my freshman year of college. I am merely five feet six inches, and my little sister looks into the space
above my head. *furiously shakes head* What a memory flood that was!

My daughters got the same bathing suit in two different sizes, totaling more than 35 dollars. My DH asked why I would pay so much for two little pieces of Spandex. I told him to consider the fact that I won't be buying a new suit this year. Or next year. Honestly, anytime I'm invited to a neighborhood pool party, I politely answer the same way: I'll come, but I can't get in the pool. My bathing suit has a hole in the knee.

CAST & CREW

Erin: 31, Emcee. Witty redhead, handy with a whip.

DH: 30, Strong Man. Comedian, defender of virtue.

Halie: 7, Chimpanzee. Pulls teeth, loves bananas.

Catie: 5, Leaping Lemur. Gentle and cuddly, loves grapes.

Rosie: 2, Cappuccin. Flings poo, loves carrots.

Back To School In